Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Trench Line. The forum for World War One re-enactors and those with an interest in the military history of the Great War of 1914 - 1918. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
PARSONS, KANSAS; Need a Ride?
Topic Started: Apr 11 2010, 03:01 AM (715 Views)
MitEinerHaltung
Member Avatar
Zweiter Kommandant von Töpfen und Pfannen, Fontanak Gedenkstätte FeldKüche
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I know it's kind of close, but anyone needing a ride to the Parsons, Kansas event. There are several of us in the OKC area going and we have room.
Anton Ebans
Fontanak Gedenkstätte Feldküche
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

georgthomas
Member Avatar
Sergeant
[ *  *  *  * ]
How was the event in Kansas?
:cross:

Thomas
Musk. Thomas
J.R. 63

MitEinerHaltung
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here are a couple of After Action Reports by a couple of the participants;

After Action Report – Operations in Cantigny Sector.

It was passed down from the French high command that staff officers from several German infantry regiments would be gathered in a small wooded area just to the north of the frontlines in a believed “quiet sector” near Cantigny and this would be an excellent opportunity for a quick and easy attack. The French report stated that they fully believed the Germans would be seriously caught off guard and would not be expecting an offensive. The Germans would most likely be frolicking amongst themselves in what they refer to as Kameradschaft. This would be easily recognizable as they would be most likely wearing lederhosen, drinking from large colorful beer steins and if they did try and pick up a weapon it would slip from their fingers due to their fingers being extremely greasy from eating large amounts of sausages.
The French were unable to commit any ground forces, or any other assistance with this operation as it was Brie Week in Paris; but they did send one of their CSRG Machine Rifles with no ammunition and said the Boche will not be able to tell the weapon is not loaded and the mere sight of it will strike fear in the Germans and cause them to immediately surrender.
This information could not have been farther from the truth. The Germans had indeed converged on the small wooded area just north of the frontline; however it was for a more sinister purpose. The dreaded Barron Von Altus was conducting an advanced machine gunner training school and “Anton the Butcher” would be assisting in the training. Unknowing the brave men of the AEF would press forward to carry out their orders.
The conflict began with a fierce and deadly artillery barrage. The only casualty proved to be a German chap who to a direct hit and was "scattered" about the No Man’s Land. This proved to be a great morale booster, oddly enough on both sides of the front cheering was heard. It was quite curious why the square heads were cheering as a coal scuttle helmet was clearly seen flying through the air. After a brief discussion we concluded he must have been a very unpopular German officer.
After the barrage subsided and the smoke cleared small probing attacks were carried out by both sides. Some advances gaining a little more than the last, then simply being cut down in the heavy machinegun fire. The combat quickly deteriorated into a duel between Hiram Maxim and John M. Browning with the foot soldier caught in the middle. After numerous advances by the Doughboys the Germans finally mounted a massed counter attack. They closed with and were met with a hail of .30 Caliber rounds resulting in them being cut down by the AEF machine gun position and sharpshooters. American forces then quickly policed the area and checked for important documents from what remained of the Germans.
A map of the entire front complete with ammunition routes was discovered as well as a whole stack of “highly artistic” French photographs. The map was dispatched to General Pershing and the stack of “highly artistic” photographs were mysteriously lost. A downed German flyer was also captured with some odd form of a camera. We look for more intelligence to be gleaned from the aviator’s curious camera.

Capt. J. F. Hennesy, Jr
Co. C - 344th Machine Gun Battalion
90th Infantry Division – “Tough Ombres”

And this one;

Wow! Just finished cleaning the 08 and 08/15 after a fun weekend at the WWI event in Kansas. We had a blast! Some highlights: Allies that take hits for Machine Guns!!!! Dang! Cary Walker and the rest of the Allied forces took hits like mad during the combat scenario. I think I wasted him not once but 5 or 6 times. They even took hits when they weren't right on top of the gun, but some distance away- all present remarked that the concussive force of the blank firing MG was very noticable quite a ways out from the gun. The sound was very hard to miss, of course! We didn't need Grenaten much, as we just shot them. Along the way, Anton, Jack, Chris Smead and I surprised the pesky yanks, and everyone else, by actually getting the heavy 08 out of the trench, ammo and all, and repositioning it forward into no mans land to surprise the allies. We got it up out of the trench and all ran with it to the new position, and had it up and ready again within seconds. Anton and Jack performed like they had been living and breathing Maxim guns for months, both preparing to move the gun, and getting it set in the new position; as soon as we announced position change, we unloaded it, and then took off as soon as the belt was packed. In position, boom, Anton was there with the belt ready to feed in about as soon as I could get down to work the cocking lever. Very cool. The Allies were shocked. Heck, even the other Germans were shocked. We were shocked. It went quite well! Aside from the allies, we faced a familiar enemy: Ticks. We saw a number of them all around us, and some of us found them on us. It's spring. Most appeared to be of the variety that is a dark red/brown with a white dot in the middle. Also, the event side has an amazing number of thorny weeds, and they are there, and tough enough to draw blood.

Wonderful explosions! The event opened with a good solid artillery barrage, with sizeable explosions, including a wonderful dummy in a German uniform that was blown skyward by the explosions. Whomever did the Pyro deserves to be commended! He did a great job, it was much more than a grenade simulator or any other explosion I've seen at an event. That was something I always wanted to do at the OKC site, but that was much less common to do a decade back. That was really cool!

Jack Lynch did a fantastic job on the tent fly, poles, and more! We needed that, and it provided an excellent place to sit and relax while chatting away with our Kameraden. Also, excellent job on the fire, etc, that was truly a great help. Hot food is very hard to beat!

Anton did an excellent job on the food, food, and more food. Thank goodness he was there. We lacked for nothing. Bread? Check. Sausage? Check. Stew? Check. Cheese? Check. And cool equipment, and more? Check! Fantastic stuff. We were in good shape with him there! I can't wait for the next event!

getting there: Anton, Jack and I met up in Norman, and proceeded Northbound to Tulsa, then on to Kansas. Along the way, we had an awsome dinner at Cracker Barrel in Tulsa, which was a good idea, as we were driving for a while, and had no idea what we were driving into. What we found out: There's quite a bit of stuff on the way. There's even another Cracker Barrel on the way, in Owasso, that would be even easier to get to, but perhaps more crowded.

Parsons is quite a bit larger than expected, with an actual Wal Mart, Gas Station/Convienence store, and a bunch of other stuff reasonably near the site. There's even a Sleep Inn located pretty close by.

More to come later!

I was shocked to find when cleaning the 08 tonight that one of the 2 topcover springs in the gun broke, probably right a the end of our shooting session. . $##(%*#@!! They are original of course. I'll get it replaced before too long. I wonder if anyone has a good new one, loose, so I don't have to tear another topcover down. TchuB for now!!! Hooray for all who made it! It was a fun event!

Gerhard Dreisbach MGK.JR. 23
Anton Ebans

Baston Grande
Sergeant
[ *  *  *  * ]
Not so fast Kraut....once I get my Chauchat working next year the odds will be even... :rolling:

It was a good time with the numbers we had! As far as the hits, I remember past reenactments where the other "team" seemed to be made from kevlar...no matter how many rounds expended nobody seemed to fall or even look phased! It was interesting to fire my Eddystone and see the effect on the other forces.

I agree about the ticks and thorns. I still have one in my right hand I have been trying to dig out since Saturday.

The Krauts looked great, gear and all. I hope this event can grow and more can attend next year!

Mark Headlee

muddhen
Member Avatar
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
it seems as though taking a hit has always been a problem with some folks, being lazy and not wanting to clean a musket, it never was a problem for me, somebody pops a cap and half our unit would go down. provided we were in the shade.

this parsons event? is it something that is planned on being done yearly? it's only about 5 hours away for many of us.
cpl. lee roy parton
france 1917-1919

MitEinerHaltung
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Gooden tag Mudden,

You can check out this event on this site. http://www.greatwarlivinghistory.org/ or you can go to this site and catch all the talk about the upcoming event http://groups.yahoo.com/group/centralusgreatwar/
Edited by MitEinerHaltung, Aug 18 2010, 10:37 AM.
Anton Ebans

muddhen
Member Avatar
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
thanks, can you answer a couple questions?

i noticed a lack of allied forces, was that because they weren't there or you just didn't photograph them?

your uniform, would you mind telling me what brand it is and if your satisfied with the quality?
cpl. lee roy parton
france 1917-1919

MitEinerHaltung
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
PM sent
Anton Ebans

muddhen
Member Avatar
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
and recieved, from some of your information we may know each other from the confederate guard.
cpl. lee roy parton
france 1917-1919

MitEinerHaltung
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, The Parsons event for the 11, 12, 13 of March is almost upon us. And as before, anyone that may be in need of a ride from the OKC area to Parsons are more than welcome. There are several people at different times, leaving for the event. So if your in need of a ride, Sing out.
Anton Ebans

muddhen
Member Avatar
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
there will be three or four of us leaving from mtn. home early friday morning, don't need a ride but we'd gladly let you pay for the gas
cpl. lee roy parton
france 1917-1919

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · GWA CARPOOL/RIDE SHARE · Next Topic »
Add Reply