Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Trench Line. The forum for World War One re-enactors and those with an interest in the military history of the Great War of 1914 - 1918. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Brodie Helmet ID?
Topic Started: Mar 27 2010, 12:00 AM (3,287 Views)
Mariner109
Gefreiter
[ *  * ]
My buddy has a Brodie Helmet which he might be offering for sale. Was wondering if anyone could give some more info on it. He said it has a separate rim and a serial number of ZA57. I'm putting in a picture. It's the bottom left helmet in the photo (sorry this is the only one he has) I know that's not a lot to go on, but can anyone gather some info from this? Is it a WWI or WWII helmet? Is it a BEF or US helmet? etc...

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Soldier
Member Avatar
Sergeant
[ *  *  *  * ]
March 28, 2010
The Soldier Here. I found one of those, is there a screw on top or a rivet? Mine has a screw and the liner is a bit different. Out.

All is not Lost. " Load Up!"

MitEinerHaltung
Member Avatar
Zweiter Kommandant von Töpfen und Pfannen, Fontanak Gedenkstätte FeldKüche
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Soldier
Mar 28 2010, 07:35 PM
March 28, 2010
The Soldier Here. I found one of those, is there a screw on top or a rivet? Mine has a screw and the liner is a bit different. Out.

Screw on top? Sounds like you have, what's called, a Transitional Helmet. My Father wore one in '38-'42.
Anton Ebans
Fontanak Gedenkstätte Feldküche

Tuckahoe Doughboy
Member Avatar
First Lieutenant
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's a little difficult to provide much information from just a picture. Though, my opinion is that the helmet is an American M1917. If it is a British helmet, you will find a rubber doughnut in the crown of the helment, and the bales are often installed with split rivets. As for the number/letter code, that is the code for the manufacturer and the manufacturer's lot number. Though I do not know the code for the manufacturers. The liner should be afixed in the helmet using a single copper rivet that is peened. There should not be a threaded nut.
Vincent Petty

"I pressed forward with the others to watch the United States physically entering the War, so god-like, so magnificent, so splendidly unimpaired in comparison with the tired nerve-racked men of the British Army. So these were our deliverers at last." British Nurse Vera Brittain

318th Infantry, 80th Division AEF

MitEinerHaltung
Member Avatar
Zweiter Kommandant von Töpfen und Pfannen, Fontanak Gedenkstätte FeldKüche
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Soldier
Mar 28 2010, 07:35 PM
March 28, 2010

Does your liner look like this?

Posted ImagePosted Image

and the screw like this?

Posted Image
Anton Ebans
Fontanak Gedenkstätte Feldküche

rob_rhc
Musketier
[ * ]
The liner can always be a replacement...though that style screams WWI and should be held in place with a rivet.. The shape of the shell tells me its WWI manufacter. Easiest well to tell if the shell is Brit or US is by how the chin strap bails are held in place. If its a split rivet that holds the bails in place, its Brit. If solid rivets, its US.

Cheers, Rob

Mariner109
Gefreiter
[ *  * ]
Awesome, thanks for the replies. I'll ask about the bail rivets.

42nd_CEF_RHC
Sergeant
[ *  *  *  * ]
Here is a good thread with a posting describing the British manufacturer codes.

http://warrelics.eu/forum/helmets/ww1-brodie-helmet-16128/
A/Cpl. Richard Moncrief
#15 Platoon/D Coy./42nd Canadian Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada)

The Soldier
Member Avatar
Sergeant
[ *  *  *  * ]
March 31,2010
:army: The Solider Here.

The screw on top of course is painted green. The liner is black with four pieces that come outand connect to a headband with a tie around the headband. Here is a picture of it.
Out.

All is not Lost. "Load Up!"
Attached to this post:
Attachments: WWI._Helement_002.jpg (744.18 KB)

« Previous Topic · Latest WW1 Acquistions · Next Topic »
Add Reply