Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Trench Line. The forum for World War One re-enactors and those with an interest in the military history of the Great War of 1914 - 1918. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Product Review: What Price Glory M1904 Marching Shoe
Topic Started: Aug 14 2009, 04:25 AM (1,745 Views)
cjdaley
Member Avatar
Sergeant
[ *  *  *  * ]
OK, here is my second Great War vendor review. I made a last minute decision to start WWI renacting 3 weeks before the April Newville gig. Having done Civil War for a few decades I thought this wasn't enough time to get a complete kit. However, Paul Schipper, Tom Mattimore and others really came though in a pinch (more on their products in future reviews). Another vendor who came through was What Price Glory. Vince Petty had mentioned they sold a M1904 Marching shoe, but he'd never seen it. I decided to make a blind purchase.

Item: M1904 Marching Shoe

Vendor: What Price Glory

Item Description: The M1904 Marching Shoe is the early war (if there is such a thing for the AEF) issue boot. It was sent over with the first units and while it's not as common as other boots worn in the ranks, it did make it overseas. It came issued without hobnails or heal plates, was smooth side out leather and was lined with canvas.

Field Test: Well, these came a week before the April event so I didn't have too much time to break them in. I took a long hike after dunking them in water and that's about it. I wore them for the 36 hours for the April event, then again at a 8 hour living history in May. Honestly, they held up well and I never got one blister or suffered from a foot problem. However, I didn't feel like that was a good field test. Most of Newville isn't really muddy and our trenches had mostly duck boards...I needed a REAL field test.

That test came on June 10-12 at the USMC Museum's photo shoot. While I wasn't on film, I was behind the scenes helping with special effects. I wore these boots as a true field test. We had long days (5am to 10pm) and we were on our feet all day running, climbing trees and digging ditches. It was mostly in a washed out wheat field so we had to contend with lots of standing water an mud up to 10" thick in places. This was a field test.

My feet stayed dry for the most part despite the mud and rain. Most of the moisture issues were from mud/water coming over the top of the shoe and not soaking in from the sides or bottom. Each night I'd knock the mud off, then oil them up for the next day.

After 3 days of this, I didn't suffer from one blister, one bruise or one injury. These boots held up amazingly well. The best outcome was that the boots suddenly looked like the antiques we see in museums and private collections. The rear of the boot formed to my ankle like the originals and the color quickly darkened to look exactly like originals. I recently showed them to a collector who had to take a second look and didn’t believe me they were reproductions only a few weeks old.

Other Reviews: http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopreviewlist.asp?id=1937

Suggestions: I don't have any suggestions really other than take your time breaking them in. I would also go a size down. I wear a 11.5 and got the 11. Even with my prescription orthopedics they fit really well and were pretty comfortable right out of the box.

Customer Service: Shipping time was within one week. I've e-mailed Jerry once and he responded to me within an hour, I'm sure response time isn't always that quick, but he did respond with a courteous e-mail back answering all my questions. They also have a fully functional e-commerce website. Having run a similar website in the past I know how much work goes into this and how nice it is for the customer to use.

Price: $145.00, plus shipping. I've paid upwards of $450 for repro shoes (for other time periods) so for the quality of the shoes, this certainly is a great deal.

How to Order: http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=1937&bc=no

Photos:

Here is a photo of an original M1904 shoe from the WPG website:

Posted Image

Here is another photo of an original from O'Ryan's Roughnecks' website (I'm not clear when the hobnails were put on these boots, but I know there were issued sans nails):

Posted Image

Below are images of my shoe after the movie shoot. I think they look identical to the original shoe's profile. I wish I had taken photos of the shoe before it was broken in, but anyway here are the post break in photos. Please note the manfacture's label on the inside.:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Other What Price Glory items I've purchase are:

US M1910 Canteen with Cup
US M1911 Sweater
US M1908 Saddle Blanket
US M1938 Horsehide Riding Gloves,
US Cushion Sole Socks

If you'd like to see a review of any of these items, please let me know and I'll see what I can put together for you.
Christopher J. Daley
tailor@cjdaley.com
www.cjdaley.com

“What we have of blood and treasure are yours, In the presence of the illustrious dead, we pledge our hearts and our honor in carrying the war to a successful conclusion, Lafayette, we are here!”

-Colonel C. E. Stanton; July 1917
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bill
Lance Corporal
[ *  * ]
Chris,

Thanks for doing the review. I personally would like to see you do the other items. It will help those who would like to get involved in the future.

On a unrelated note, I ordered a M1889 Campaign Hat from WPG and it is a spot on reproduction and delivery time was like 2 days. Thumbs up to WPG!

Bill Fean

Tuckahoe Doughboy
Member Avatar
First Lieutenant
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Great review Chris. For the Mods, any chane of getting this tacked to the top of this forum?
Vincent Petty

"I pressed forward with the others to watch the United States physically entering the War, so god-like, so magnificent, so splendidly unimpaired in comparison with the tired nerve-racked men of the British Army. So these were our deliverers at last." British Nurse Vera Brittain

318th Infantry, 80th Division AEF

Baston Grande
Sergeant
[ *  *  *  * ]
Chris,

What weight would you give the leather in the body of the shoe? I've heard anywhere from paper thin to dress shoe weight. How about the soles? I trust your opinion and have considered buying a pair of these shoes.
Mark Headlee

cjdaley
Member Avatar
Sergeant
[ *  *  *  * ]
Baston Grande
Aug 14 2009, 08:07 PM
Chris,

What weight would you give the leather in the body of the shoe? I've heard anywhere from paper thin to dress shoe weight. How about the soles? I trust your opinion and have considered buying a pair of these shoes.
Yeah, it's about dress shoe weight, really flexible and super comfortable. The soles have a few layers of leather sewn together, again, really simple to break in and wear.
Christopher J. Daley
tailor@cjdaley.com
www.cjdaley.com

“What we have of blood and treasure are yours, In the presence of the illustrious dead, we pledge our hearts and our honor in carrying the war to a successful conclusion, Lafayette, we are here!”

-Colonel C. E. Stanton; July 1917

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Great War Vendors & Equipment · Next Topic »
Add Reply