Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Trench Line. The forum for World War One re-enactors and those with an interest in the military history of the Great War of 1914 - 1918. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
.303 Blank Ammunition
Topic Started: Jan 22 2008, 06:18 PM (1,631 Views)
Lancashire Fusilier
Gefreiter
[ *  * ]
Hello Chaps,

Could someone please inform me as to where one can buy blank ammunition for the SMLE?

Does it have to be sent to a firearms dealer, or can it be shipped straight to ones home address?

Seph
At the going down of the son, and in the morning... We Will Remember Them!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tuckahoe Doughboy
Member Avatar
First Lieutenant
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here are a couple of sources --

Gopher Munition Works

Joe Swanson Motion Picture Blanks

I am sure that the BEF types will have other potential sources. In the 318th, we use both Gopher Munitions and Swanson blanks and are very happy with them.

As for as shipping, you can have them shipped directly to you. However, ammunition must be shipped by a common carrier (UPS or Fed Ex).
Vincent Petty

"I pressed forward with the others to watch the United States physically entering the War, so god-like, so magnificent, so splendidly unimpaired in comparison with the tired nerve-racked men of the British Army. So these were our deliverers at last." British Nurse Vera Brittain

318th Infantry, 80th Division AEF

Lancashire Fusilier
Gefreiter
[ *  * ]
Thanks Doughboy...

Ive actually tried getting on the site of 'Motion Picture Blanks, but all I seem to come up with is their payment page! Am I doing something wrong, or is it that my system will not pickup their products page?

Seph

Tuckahoe Doughboy
Member Avatar
First Lieutenant
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There is really just the one page, you should either e-mail or contact him by phone to make inquiries.

Vincent Petty

"I pressed forward with the others to watch the United States physically entering the War, so god-like, so magnificent, so splendidly unimpaired in comparison with the tired nerve-racked men of the British Army. So these were our deliverers at last." British Nurse Vera Brittain

318th Infantry, 80th Division AEF

42nd_CEF_RHC
Sergeant
[ *  *  *  * ]
Atlantic Wall is also making .303 long blanks similiar to the FN blanks many of us used upwards of 20 years ago. They have the benefit of having the brass formed longer than a regular .303 case with the crimped part of the brass forming a "bullet" in order to allow for easy feeding. No more playing with the magazine of your SMLE.

$40/100 according to their website: atlanticwallblanksdotcom.

Cheers
A/Cpl. Richard Moncrief
#15 Platoon/D Coy./42nd Canadian Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada)

Lancashire Fusilier
Gefreiter
[ *  * ]
Thanks chaps... you've been a great help. Have any other members had dealings with other blank firing cartridge sellers other than those already mentioned?

Seph

IG SRGT TJ 4593
Corporal
[ *  *  * ]
Seph,

I've used Swanson's for the last few years because they are loud, give a nice long flame and give a bit of a kick when fired. They don't sound like your firing a "cap" gun the way "other" blanks sound and shoot.
Conversely, I've never tried the Atlantic Wall blanks.

They seem to have cured my one beef with Swanson blanks. They have made them to regulation size (or "actual" bullet size). This would eliminate jaming in the magazine. This happens all the time with the Swansons. This is a HUGE plus for the Atlantic Wall.

I'll be trying them out this Spring.

Quis Separatus,

Corporal Walsh :poppy:
IG SGT TJ 4593

bog rat 8555
Member Avatar
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I bought some British surplus blanks on-line and they were cheap but awful...just a small "pop".

I've used Swanson blanks and I went back to those. They are awesomely loud and there is no mistaking when one is fired. The only downside is that I find "rapid fire" difficult as they do jam because of the short crimp. When my weapon is clean, oiled, and I fired it for the first magazine at an event, I can crank out ten rounds, no problem. Usually on round 12 or 13, JAM! I spend the rest of the event pulling every 4th or 5th shot out of the barrel. Sometimes I've even had to resort to loading single rounds...but Swanson's are loud.

I would like to try out the Atlantic Wall blanks and see if they have fewer jams.

8555 John Adams
Irish Guards

Lancashire Fusilier
Gefreiter
[ *  * ]
Out of interest John, can you recall the head dates of the rounds of the Brit Surplus items? As far as I'm aware, our Army Cadet Forces stopped using the Enfield No.4 during the mid '70's, so I presume that the rds your getting have been sitting for quite a few years... hense the 'pop' and constant jamming.

Seph
RSM: 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers

bog rat 8555
Member Avatar
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The rounds came loose, except for one pack of ten. I don't see any year markings other than II 266 on the package. Does that help?

8555 John Adams
Irish Guards

QMSwalrus
Member Avatar
Feldwebelleutnant
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
On a side note:
Quote:

"...As far as I'm aware, our Army Cadet Forces stopped using the Enfield No.4 during the mid '70's, ..."

Seph,

The ACF were still using the No.4 when I left in 1974.
As I recall, the No 4 was dropped in the early 1980s when cadets got that single shot SA80 lookylikey toy weapon (34 years later and I still miss my Bren :( ).

The above not withstanding, even in the 70s the stocks of .303" blank from UK stores were, if not running out, then running low and I seem to recall batches of blank being issued, British made but bearing marks on the boxes which indicated that they had been in storage abroad (Jamaca or Barbados ring a bell).

If the British made blank mentioned in the earlier post were indeed Government issue, then it is possible that it may have either been incorrectly stored or been in long term storage in less-than-ammunition-friendly climates/conditions.

Just a thought.

Tom (in London)
The truth is out there - The lies are in your head
(Terry Pratchett - "Hogfather")

« Previous Topic · British (BEF) · Next Topic »
Add Reply