Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Trench Line. The forum for World War One re-enactors and those with an interest in the military history of the Great War of 1914 - 1918. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Installing a GEW 98 Sling
Topic Started: Oct 29 2007, 05:13 PM (3,976 Views)
jumpinjan
Member Avatar
Sergeant Major
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The search function is not working for me at all, but I remember reading about how to install a new sling. I don't see how the sling attaches to the rifle stock?
Jan
Dayton OH, The Birthplace Of Aviation
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jumpinjan
Member Avatar
Sergeant Major
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, its on. My new 98 had a wire loop in the swivel and that confused things. I cut it off and attached the square metal end to the rifle stock the way it should be mounted. The rest was easy from then on. For a $26 sling, its fits pretty well
Posted Image
Posted Image

maxstiebritz
Member Avatar
I am Locutus of Stiebritz. We are IR459!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Okay, its on. My new 98 had a wire loop in the swivel and that confused things. I cut it off and attached the square metal end to the rifle stock the way it should be mounted. The rest was easy from then on. For a $26 sling, its fits pretty well

Hey Jan, Glad it went on okay. I took a few pics and was getting ready to post the directions. Also to note...use the hole on your triggerguard when your at Parade. It also fits well there.

See you in the trenches.

:german:
Etatsma▀iger Feldwebel Max Stiebritz
8K/IR459

Posted Image

Gew8805
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The loop as shown in the photo is installed incorrectly. It needs to be placed so that it hangs at the end of the sling (near the detachable swivel) when it is in the "carry" position. When in the sling is in "parade" position, the detachable swivel is attached to the hole in the triggerguard and the loop is hooked to the small hook on the front band as shown here:

Posted Image

The sling's buckle can't be seen here since it is under the soldier's right hand - it should be half way between the middle and front band.
T.P. Hern
IR92

"My life, when it is written, will read better than it lived."
James Goldman, "The Lion in Winter"

jumpinjan
Member Avatar
Sergeant Major
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't understand. Please draw a diagram.
I can hook the parade hook and the sling is tight per my arrangement in my photo. When unhooked, the sling is loose enough that I can carry it on my shoulder. It looks & functions okay to me. Why does the square buckle need to be relocated to the triggerguard per the vintage photo? It looks like his sling is too short, or mine is too long?
Jan

Gew8805
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hmmm, okay, try this: Remove the loop and buckle from the sling and, using the detachable swivel, attach the sling to the plate on the buttstock. Now slide the metal wire parade loop (with the bulge pointing forward) onto the sling. Slide the square buckle onto the sling about 10 inches (this will change later) and run the sling through the loop on the rear barrel band finishing by attaching the end of the sling to the button on the back of the buckle. To put the sling in parade position and do the final buckle adjustment, remove the detachable swivel from the plate on the bottom of the buttstock and temporarily put it through the hole on the triggerguard. Try the parade loop on the small hook on the bottom of the barrel band and adjust the buckle as necessary so that the sling will be taught in that position. When you have the buckle adjusted properly, the process to move from the carry position to parade will be:

(1)Remove the detachable sling from its position in the plate.
(2)Run the parade loop up the sling attaching it to the hook on the front band.
(3)Secure the detachable swivel in the hole at the front of the triggerguard loop.

When you wish to go from parade to carry:

(1)Remove the detachable swivel from the hole in the triggerguard.
(2)Remove the loop from the hook on the front band.
(3)Attach the swivel to the plate on the bottom of the buttstock.

Remember that, when in the parade position the face of the buckle will be against the stock. See the attached picture of a Gew88 armed soldier, his sling can be seen very well in the parade position. While the rifle is different, the sling and its position are the same.
Posted Image

Hope this helps.
T.P. Hern
IR92

"My life, when it is written, will read better than it lived."
James Goldman, "The Lion in Winter"

pigpen
Trusty, yet dusty
[ *  * ]
This thread at the international European WWI living history forum has a detailed picture of how the sling and parade loop is installed.

dbloge
Corporal
[ *  *  * ]
I was having the hardest time trying to install the sling correctly. It turns out the cheapo imported sling was too long. Cut it down a few inches, problem solved.

Dieter

« Previous Topic · Central Powers · Next Topic »
Add Reply