Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Trench Line. The forum for World War One re-enactors and those with an interest in the military history of the Great War of 1914 - 1918. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Most Decorated American Soldier of World War 1
Topic Started: Oct 12 2006, 07:19 AM (3,867 Views)
marcstephen
Gefreiter
[ *  * ]
Who was the "Most Decorated Soldier" of WW1?

Nelson Holderman????

OR

Alvin York?????

OR

M. Waldo Hatler

I have not been able to find any difinitive source that lists all of Capt. Holderman's awards.

Marc Findlay
Marc Findlay
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MerleHay
Member Avatar
Sergeant
[ *  *  *  * ]
As for British I have found this man Capt Noel Chevasse.

Follow this link to find his story: http://www.chavasse.u-net.com/chavasse.html

Cheers,

Tom

marcstephen
Gefreiter
[ *  * ]
Tom,

That is really a great link about an extremely great soldier!!!! It almost seems as these heros have been lost. We hear so much about WWII, The American Civil War, and even the American Revolution, that history has forgotton these great heros of the First World War. As for the First World War, we hear about Alvin York and Black Jack Pershing. Not that these men are not heros, but we have many, many more heros that have been lost in history- and it is a damn shame!!!!

Thanks,

Marc Findlay
Marc Findlay

Red Hand Lt.
Member Avatar
Lance Corporal
[ *  * ]
Sgt. Earle Davis Gregory, HQ Co. 116th Inf., 29th Div. may not have been the "most" decorated, but he damned sure did earn a chest-full.

Congressional Medal of Honor
Mexican Border Service Medal
Purple Heart (retroactive, c.1930's)
Allied Victory Medal
Medaille Militaire l' Ordre Legion d' Honneur (France)
Croix d'Guerre avec Palme (France)
Croce di Guerra (Italy)
Medaille de Bravoure (Montenegro)
Imperial Russian Czarist Order

Jim Ball
372e R.I.U.S.
"Every time I stop thinkin' about anything alse, I can see a Heinie, writin' so peaceful-like in a little book... just before my grenade hit him."

Anonymous Doughboy

marcstephen
Gefreiter
[ *  * ]
Jim,

Thank you for your reply. I thought this thread was drying up!!!!

I had never heard of that Soldier, so thank you for bringing him to my attention!!!!

Marc Findlay :)
Marc Findlay

Red Hand Lt.
Member Avatar
Lance Corporal
[ *  * ]
Marc,

Glad to share. Gregory was a section sgt. in the mortar platoon. The advance in the Bois de Consenvoye stalled so he grabbed a 3" stokes shell, said "I'll get 'em", and went forward. First he used it as a club, then as a grenade. Captured 22 Huns, 3 MGs, a mountain howitzer, and a dugout. :notworthy:

Here's a link to an MOH site with his citation http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/citations_...wi/gregory.html,
and some photos http://www.homeofheroes.com/photos/index_2.html

I think Glenn Hyatt has more details on his website, though.

Cheers,

Jim Ball
372e R.I.U.S.
"Every time I stop thinkin' about anything alse, I can see a Heinie, writin' so peaceful-like in a little book... just before my grenade hit him."

Anonymous Doughboy

2nd Div Marine-1918
Member Avatar
Sergeant
[ *  *  *  * ]
There was also a U.S.Marine that is believed to be the most decorated U.S. Serviceman of WWI.
His name is John ( "Jack") Joseph Kelly,Pvt.
78th Co. 2nd Bn,6th Marine Regt ,4th Marine Brigade,2nd Div.

His Awards are the Following:
Army Medal of Honor
Navy Medal of Honor
Medaille Militaire (France)
Italian War Cross
Montenegrin Silver Medal of Valor
Croix de Guerre W/Palm (2)
Croix de Guerre W/Bronze Star (2)
French Fourragere of the Croix de Guerre W/2 Loops
Silver Star Medal (3)
WWI Victory Medal W/ 5 Battle Stars
Army of Occupation Medal

His MoH Citation reads:
"For Conspicuous Gallantry and Intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with the enemy while assigned to the 78th Co,2nd Battalion,6th Marine Regiment at Blanc Mont Ridge,France,October 5th,1918.Pvt Kelly ran through a advance artillery barrage 100 yards in advance of the front lines and attacked a Enemy machine gun nest by himself and killing the gunner with a hand grenade,shooting another member of the crew with his pistol and returning through the Barrage with 8 enemy prisoners".

So i think he has a little bit more on the chest then Sgt.York. Plus York was way over rated.
GySgt. Steven Girard,
78th Company, ( E ) 6th Marines, 2nd Div, A.E.F. ( GWA )

"They were the Leathernecks,The Old-Timers:The old breed of Regular who regraded Sevice as Home and War as an Occupation!"

"Fix Bayonets"
Capt.John W. Thomason Jr.USMC

In Memory of C.C. Robinson, 2nd LT, USMC, NC/DSC/SS/PH
82nd Co, 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines, KIA - June 6th 1918

soldat
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Plus York was way over rated.

I don’t think I would call Alvin York overrated. If he became more famous than some of the other soldiers, then that was the work of press. Journalists have always been “herd animals”, one gets the story and they all want to run with it. Add some Army brass wanting to look good and the next thing you know, you have a genuine American hero on your hands. (Something York never called himself). IMHO I thinks he rates most of the praise he has gotten.

cheers
D:)
Beck
"You will be home before the leaves fall" The Kaiser. August 1914 Über Trinkmeister Die ApfelKorn Gruppe (Kinder des Korn)

2nd Div Marine-1918
Member Avatar
Sergeant
[ *  *  *  * ]
What Sgt.Alvin C. York did to get the Medal of Honor isn't what i'm taking away from him.Hell one who has the MoH is a Hero for what they did to get it period! but from what i've Researched on the Subject of the Most decorated Soldier of WWI was that General Pershing wasn't going to have one of those(in his words) "God Damn Gyrenes" upstage the U.S.Army.Everyone knows that Pershing had a PURE HATED for the U.S.Marine Corp in Europe and the 4th Marine Brigade after Belleau Woods and didn't want them there period and when Pvt. Kelly was awarded the MoH twice THAT REALLY pissed him off.From what i've read and pieced together from the National Achives and CMH was Pershings staff behind closed doors under orders from himself (Pershing) was to find someone from the U.S.Army side of the house and they didn't care who that did the closest thing that Pvt. Kelly did or something to that matter and of course they found Alvin York of G co. 2nd/328th Inf,82nd Div.Alvin was awarded a DSC at first and then out of the Blue was awarded the MoH and the French LoH C. that was Pushed up the chain by Pershing himself and i do agree with you Alvin was a very,very humble man and didn't want the press Hell any MoH Man doesn't but Pershing and the U.S.Army General staff did i do know they like to drum up things (i know after 21 yrs of Service with the U.S. Army and Marines i do know they love to drum up BS to make themselves look good) and from what i gathered from the 82nd Abn Div Achives,Ft.Bragg NC ,the U.S.Army Infantry School Achives Ft.Benning Ga,and the Center of Military History at the U.S.Army War Collage at Carlisle Barracks,Pa and thousands of stacks of paperwork some of the things that Sgt.York did didn't happen.Some of the eyewitness accounts and reports of the action of which he was awarded MoH are in question and there were some out there that say he wasn't the person who was to get the MoH it was to go to one of his buddies that was KIA instead but like i said it was a Pershing thing and like a General Flag officer he got his way Alvin got the press and the parade,kelly got a slow boat back to the states with his Regiment, The 6th Marines.And from what i've read and seen that old 1941 Movie on Sgt.York with Gary Cooper and what really happened at the Argonne don't match up.And looking at General Pershing "old Black Jack"himself he wasn't a saint himself by any means from the reports from his Staff at the time.
GySgt. Steven Girard,
78th Company, ( E ) 6th Marines, 2nd Div, A.E.F. ( GWA )

"They were the Leathernecks,The Old-Timers:The old breed of Regular who regraded Sevice as Home and War as an Occupation!"

"Fix Bayonets"
Capt.John W. Thomason Jr.USMC

In Memory of C.C. Robinson, 2nd LT, USMC, NC/DSC/SS/PH
82nd Co, 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines, KIA - June 6th 1918

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Leaders · Next Topic »
Add Reply