Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Trench Line. The forum for World War One re-enactors and those with an interest in the military history of the Great War of 1914 - 1918. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
MATTIMORE HARNESS; WWI BOOTS
Topic Started: Oct 9 2005, 08:42 PM (6,632 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

US 1917 trench boots, russet marching shoe and roughout marching shoe in the works

http://www.civilwarboots.com/
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

This is Tom's first pair of 1917 boots. I will be bringing them to the event for people to see. Give out a shout if your interested. Here is acouple of pictures of his first pair. There are going to be a few mods as they come out. Tell me what you think! The picture of the back is the original on the right and the new one on the left.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Quote Post Goto Top

Captain John Jarrett
Member Avatar
Sergeant
[ *  *  *  * ]
Very Nice. Any idea on price or when they will be available?
Captain John Jarrett
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tmattimore
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Currently I can only do the following sizes. 8,8.5,9,9.5EEE,10,10.5,11,11.5. Except for the 9.5EEE the others are D width. Other sizes take 6 to 8 weeks to obtain the lasts. If your are willing to wait I can order the lasts from 5 to 14 in any width. These are Military spec Munson lasts as were used by the services from 1912 until the 1960's and are still used by Cove(HH) and some Bellivile models. These lasts cost me $105 per pair so if you order a size not in stock I ask for payment up front. If you are in doubt of your size try on some HH paratrooper boots as these are the same size lasts.

After studing the leather in my originals I used an undyed harness leather that I had split to six ounce for the quaters and vamp and three ounce for the counter cover and tounge which is the average thickness of the originals I own.

The upper is constucted as the originals with no overlapping seams on the inside. This is not a remodeled work boot.
The price is $165 with hobnails and heel plates without Hobnails and plates $150. I Have only a limited supply of hobnails with no source for the future. If you supply the hobs and heel plates I will install them.

I can also install the rivet for the later 1917's and the extra row of stitching if requested.

As with all my shoes I waranty them except for abuse. i.e. sticking them in the fire and not maintaining them.
Many thanks To jeff for encouraging me to proceed with this project.

Tom Mattimore
Fritz Sohlennagel
AKA Tom Mattimore
AKA Tommy shoes
The most important item of a soldiers equipment is his knapsack so that he may carry an extra pair of shoes and half soles" Sir Arthur Wellesly

jk816
Feldwebelleutnant
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tom,

What is your lead time for these boots?

Also, how is the fit versus size? Always a question as feet seem to work outside standard sizes too often.

If the Corcoran (Cove) jump boots are a guide, they tend to run on the roomy side, which is good, I 'd just order my jump boot size. Are would you suggest going up a half size?

Either way, this is welcome news. No more buying boots from resellers!!!

Thanks,
Jim Kidd

Tuckahoe Doughboy
Member Avatar
First Lieutenant
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jim, from my own personal experience, Tom took three weeks to make and deliver my custom made boots and another member of the unit received his in about a week. If there is a concern about fit, you can always trace and measure your feet for the best fit.

Vincent Petty

"I pressed forward with the others to watch the United States physically entering the War, so god-like, so magnificent, so splendidly unimpaired in comparison with the tired nerve-racked men of the British Army. So these were our deliverers at last." British Nurse Vera Brittain

318th Infantry, 80th Division AEF

strangelybrown
Member Avatar
Corporal
[ *  *  * ]
I also just recieved a pair of Tom's boots. I asked him to make me a pair of Aussie boots, and just recieved them today. What can I say? The quality is excellent! I'll be posting pics shortly. In any case, he's highly recommended.
-Mike Robertson
Mike Robertson
5th Bn AIF

Gijoe
Member Avatar
Sergeant
[ *  *  *  * ]
O orderer my M1917 today.
I received my french boots one month ago.
the best work which I ever saw.
best leather and no disturbing sewed.
I ran 10 miles in wetness and dirt.
The shoe holds perfectly.
Finally the WWI shoe problem is solve.
http://homepage.bluewin.ch/greatwar/

Gijoe
Member Avatar
Sergeant
[ *  *  *  * ]
I recived my US Boots a week ago !
The very best replica Boots which i ever saw !!!!!
I am marched 20 miles without problems ! Without any blisters !
http://homepage.bluewin.ch/greatwar/

tmattimore
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
We now have WW1 german low boots on the site. I only show one but it is available in the type shown and the same boot with speed laces and a boot pull in the rear. By mid January we should also have the austrian low boot and the U.S. russet service shoe. The german high boot will be up around the first as soon as I can finish one to take pictures of, along with the 1912 Italian.

Hobnails are getting to be a problem so if any one goes by an old shoe repair shop they should stop in and ask if they have any getting dusty on a bottom shelf. I have found almost 15 lbs this way, any type will do.

Thanks Tom
www.civilwarboots.com
Fritz Sohlennagel
AKA Tom Mattimore
AKA Tommy shoes
The most important item of a soldiers equipment is his knapsack so that he may carry an extra pair of shoes and half soles" Sir Arthur Wellesly

tmattimore
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The marchsteiffel is up on the site. Made from 6 0z harness leather, oiled, tallowed and waxed at the tannery.
Fritz Sohlennagel
AKA Tom Mattimore
AKA Tommy shoes

tmattimore
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The K.U.K boot is up on the site. It was a fun project. Many thanks to Jim Haugh and der komrades from europe for getting me enough pics to figure it out. It has been great fun to do The WW1 boots and more to come.
Tom
Fritz Sohlennagel
AKA Tom Mattimore
AKA Tommy shoes

Deleted User
Deleted User

Got my boots that fit me 2 months ago. I took them to the site on Friday and used them all day. I have to tell you they were the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. I know I posted his site but they are sweet. Hell, you can't beat a pair custom made to your feet.
Quote Post Goto Top

Wilky
Private
I got my Marschstiefeln today, and I could not be happier!! They fit like the proverbial glove and look fantastic. What more can I say? Tom does a great job! I can't wait to wear them in the trenches next week!

Wilky

tmattimore
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
At long last we will be moved into our new shop by 21 may.
The new address is
Mattimore Harness
512 south 3rd St.
Laramie WY 82070
Fritz Sohlennagel
AKA Tom Mattimore
AKA Tommy shoes

tmattimore
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
With The two events coming up I wished to notify all that Orders placed by after Sept 1 will not make it in time for the Somme and Orders placed after Oct 1 will not make it in time for the GWA event.
Thanks Tom
Fritz Sohlennagel
AKA Tom Mattimore
AKA Tommy shoes

tmattimore
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It has come to my attention that a recent update from microsoft is presenting a screen that blocks accses to the order page on my website. You may work around it by clicking on the icon to go there anyway. Thanks to this the fix will take about $300 which I don't feel like spending now. Be assured the secure page is still quite secure. Thanks Mr. Bill :notworthy: :blink: :angry:
Tom
Fritz Sohlennagel
AKA Tom Mattimore
AKA Tommy shoes

Verdun_Hadji
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kameraden,
I highly recommend Mattimore's footgear. I recently used a pair of WWI German Low Boots at a full blown Newville event (2 nights 1 1/2 days). I had very little time to break them in and they worked perfectly. No blisters, no major wear and tear. They look good and wear good! :-)
[size=1]
Ed
----------------------------------------------------
Edgar Macionga
3.K JR63[/size]

Oskar_2ndChev
Member Avatar
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll second that! :D I have a pair of the 1917 Pershing boots and they've served me well although I wouldn't recommend them for horseback riding! :D :o

It seems that when you jump off of the horse, you can really feel the hobnails grind into the bottoms of your feet! :o

I'll hold out for the 1904 marching shoes for riding... :P
Matthew Hawkins/Oskar Landschultz (aka Adam Lid)
Co. H, 2nd US Cavalry
3 Esk KB 2 Chevauleger "Thurn und Taxis"
http://2chevauleger.org/

tmattimore
Vize-Feldwebel
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just to let folks know. I have been swamped with orders So please order early if you need footwear as I am now taking up 12 weeks for orders.
thanks Tom
Fritz Sohlennagel
AKA Tom Mattimore
AKA Tommy shoes

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Uniforms · Next Topic »
Add Reply