Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: The RPG Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
What's Your Favourite Final Fantasy?; Whether old school SNES or modern PS2.
Topic Started: Jan 21 2009, 06:27 PM (2,740 Views)
soulisthirsty
Member Avatar
Moon Fairy
Since I'm so, so severely obsessed with videogames, and I saw this part of the forum had been dead for a little while, I thought I'd make an attempt to revive it for a little while.

For anyone who knows the game Final Fantasy VIII (8, if you're not familiar with roman numerals) you can *probably* recognize my signature being from it, as well as my avatar. (If it's been awhile since you played, you might not remember it xD )

Anyway, there's always been sort of... arguments, I guess... over which Final Fantasy game is better, if the old school ones are better than the new ones of today... (or vice versa)... I was wondering what other Final Fantasy fans thought.

What's your favourite Final Fantasy game?
Do you prefer the old ones, or the newer ones?

I can personally say that since FFVIII is the first I ever played, it's my favourite. I know a lot of people prefer FFVII (which I have yet to play since I don't own it and if I wanted to download the CD image for a PSX emulator, well, dial-up sort of makes that a much-too long and tedious effort ^^;) and there seems to be a lot who hate FFX-2.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Chains Of Fate
Member Avatar
President of Crystal Tokyo
Final Fantasy X is probably my favorite. I just really liked the characters. They made me care and the story to me was very emotional. I'm a big sap. XD

On the whole, I prefer some of the newer ones. By newer I mean FF 7-10. Despised XII and never played XI. I also really liked V. Never really played too far into VI. The first ones were alright.

soulisthirsty
Member Avatar
Moon Fairy
That's actually one of the ones I want to play that I never have >< I'm a huge sap too, so I can't judge you for being one XD

VI was actually amazing, when I initially started playing it, I didn't like it because of the sort of setting it was in, but it's actually really cool as you get further into it, I thought it was quite complex for it's time.

I was just playing V earlier though, I believe XD I think it was that one. The whole japanese/north american thing with the different numbers mixes me up.

flamesoul32
Member Avatar
Persona of Will
My favorite ones would have to be VI and X...yes I'm a sap to... Usagi_Hah

VI is amazing when you get into it. I still find it hard to believe the pure dept they gave the characters! I mean there are a total of fourteen of them and more then half of them are fully developed in the story. Personaly my favorite characters were Locke,Celes and Terra.

X was just a wealth of pure emotion. Go Rikku and Auron!

...It's funny considering my favorite RPG Series are not Final Fantasy at all. Besides these two I don't really care for the rest...I really do love these two though and I am looking forward to XIII.

soulisthirsty
Member Avatar
Moon Fairy
I know, that's exactly how I felt about that game. I like Terra in the beginning, later in the game she bugs me for a while x3 But I love Locke as well, Celes is pretty cool I agree, but I also like the Ninja, whose name escapes me... SHADOW! Yeah, okay, Shadow, hehehe. Mainly because I love his dog and he's got a pretty cool storyline that gets developed depending on your actions in the game.

Three cheers for saps! UsagiHappy

americas next top model
Member Avatar
Constant Victim
Actually, my fav. was X-2 JupiterBlush

I really loved the story, and how the battle system was set up (dressspheres and what not reminded me of sailor moon, especially rikku, who looked like Sailor_Venus_Transform in one sphere)
Also, i really loved Yuna and how she had a sense of justice/duty, but was still "fun"

soulisthirsty
Member Avatar
Moon Fairy
I haven't played X or X-2, but the one thing I heard people hated about X-2 was that you didn't really have a lot of choice as to what you could do, or explore. It was sort of like, you complete one mission, move on to the next part of the game to progress the storyline, not so much time to discover it on your own and choose when you want to do it, as other games. But I thought the concept of it being about Yuna trying to find Tidus (I could be very wrong on that, never played it and it was years ago that I last even heard anything about it specifically) and it playing a female main character was cool :3

loveHELLO
Member Avatar
Constant Victim
FFVIII is my favorite for the same reason. I only played (most of) IV, VIII, and X. I thought X was absolutely beautiful but it felt way too short and easy. IV seemed very rushed and I didn't get a feeling for any of the characters. Then it came to a part where I had to level up and I stopped :P For that reason and I felt I wouldn't get a big enough payout from the ending.

soulisthirsty
Member Avatar
Moon Fairy
YAY! ANOTHER VIII FAN! :D I just love that one to bits. I love every aspect of it UsagiHappy

Final Fantasy games are all about the characters; if they can't make the characters interesting, the game won't be much better.

flamesoul32
Member Avatar
Persona of Will
Here's a nice little tribute I happened to find for all of the Final Fantasy games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq1bG3VPvzM

Enjoy!

Sailor_Mars_Transform

Fluffalubigus
Member Avatar
Meatball Head
X-2, hands down.

A lot of people don't like it since it's pretty much just fan service. The story wasn't the best in the world, either. And with what you said, ghost_whisperer, it's only somewhat true. The whole "optional mission" thing isn't as optional, since it's pretty necessary to move on and level up, but it's fun to be able to skip all but the few main story missions and play under leveled the whole time.

X-2 has Yuna and Rikku, as well as the best battle system IMO. Plus it does sort of resemble Sailor Moon, which I like. YuRiPa kicking Fiend ass in style = total win.

VIII and X were also pretty good, and I really like III remade for the DS.

Though, honestly, I prefer the newer way FF is going. XII was horrible battle system-wise, but the story was impressive. The Fabula Nova Crystalis series seems like it'll fix up the horrible MMO-styled battles, and it's impressive that they're trying to please all fan types with it.

-cough- I DIGRESS. X-2 = best.

soulisthirsty
Member Avatar
Moon Fairy
I'll have to check out some of the newer ones to judge the story and how it's changed :) I find that Final Fantasy has always been past its time for RPGs though, the old, OLD games are still fun today, and it's still famous today and the series still goes strong.

I probably would like X-2 if I ever got to play it ^^

ferparu
Member Avatar
Constant Victim
VIII and IV are definitely my favorites!
I enjoy all of them, but those are the ones that reallyreallyreally stood out for me.

Oh! And the job system in V is pretty much made of win. xD <3

soulisthirsty
Member Avatar
Moon Fairy
YAY! Another VIII fan! I love Squall and Rinoa. Squall is probably my most favourite male character in a game in, well, ever xP

I started playing Final Fantasy IV the other day before my Azure Dreams obsession kicked in; I want to try to actually finish it this time, see what the fuss is about since it seems to be well-liked. It might become one of my favourite characters :P

Not sure if I played V or not, I'll have to check it out XD

Eve
Member Avatar
Meatball Head
I have played all of them with the exception of 11. My favorites are IV, VI, X, and X-2.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: